Pages

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

God Calling

2 Timothy 1:8-10

8
So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God, 9who has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, 10but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.


Undeserved Calling
I have often thought about the fact that I have received "undeserved grace" when God saved me through the work of Christ. It is a major theme in scripture and a truth that I am greatful for. But just now I noticed the paring of call with salvation. "...has saved us and called us." Now I am handicapped by my lack of training in greek and I lack the greek tools I normally use but when I read it here I can't help but wonder if the saving and calling are both tied to "... a holy life." Did Christ die for us so that we would be saved only or did he die for us so that we would live holy lives.

I must admit that I am the first to stand up and say that sactification is something that should not be shackled to justification. That is that our salvation (justification) is not dependenta on the way that we live (sanctification). I believe that when a believer opens his heart to Christ salvation is complete - they are fully justified. Sanctification on the other hand is a little more complicated. On one hand a believer who opens his heart is also fully sanctified - but not yet. Sanctification is one of the hardest things for we mortals (who are stuck in time and space) to understand. From God's perspective I am sure that it is simple. We are fully sactified to God because He is outside of time and space and we are in his presence as a holy offering - part of the bride of Christ - now and always.

It is true that God knew us while we were still sinners. It is also true that God will know us when we are fully sanctified. But to God the past and future tense have no meaning. He is present in the past. He is present now. He is present in the future. This is mind blowing to me. I hope that one day I will fully comprehend it.

So the best way to describe it is that when a believer asked Christ into his heart. He both became holy in god's eyes (by barrowing or putting on Christ's holiness) and he began to become holy. The second example is often referred to as progressive sanctification. It means that in this life from the time that I ask Christ into my heart until the day I die I am moving toward holiness - my holiness. This is possible becasue once I accept Christ, for the first time in my life I am able not to sin. (Augustine showed that Adam was able to sin, fallen man is not able not to sin, Christians are able to not sin and one day we - as Christians - will not able to sin.)

So back to the verse today. God "has saved us and called us to a holy life." Often I have under emphasized the holy life part. My reason has been that one day I will be there. My holiness take will be totally full. It will not be in this life but in the life to come. No matter how empty my holiness tank is now, it will be filled up when I stand before Christ.

So why bother with holiness?

Because God calls us to a holy life. Not holiness. Not sactification. But a holy life. This life now. I am to live a life that is set apart for Him. A life that is honoring to him. A life that does not make people look at me and say "He's a Christian? Wow who knew."

This is my new motivation. And my prize when I live a holy life? I get to suffer for the Gospel.

That sounds OK to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment