Pages

Friday, January 04, 2008

Technology is Finally Catching up to my Imagination


I remember the first time I played Pong on a friends TV set. I was amazed that they figured out how to make it work on a TV. I also was amazed at how bad I was at the game. The little paddle controller just didn't do it for me. My frustration caused me to think of at least a hundred different things that could be done to improve the game experience. In the end I realized that what I was picturing a real game of tennis. So I picked up a racket and went out to play. I was really bad at real tennis too but at least I got some fresh air.

Over the years games have gotten more and more real. I remember the first time I jumped into the cockpit of an x-wing fighter and destroyed the death star (well, at least I tried to). The vector graphics were kind of lame. A wire frame death star just didn't do it for me. Again I found myself imagining at least a hundred different things that would make the game better. In the end I realized that I was imagining flying a real x-wing and blowing up a real death star.

But x-wings and death stars are not real so I couldn't just go jump in one and save the galaxy. Sadly I had to accept that the hard plastic chair connected to the vector graphics display was the closest I was ever going to get to my dream.

Over the years Star Wars games got better and better. When Episode I came out, so did an arcade game that allowed you to not only pilot an x-wing but also duel with a light saber. The graphics were way better thanks to the advent of 3D graphics. That was the ultimate fun for me. I could slip out of the dull dreary real world and into a galaxy far far away as a Jedi Master. Then I played the game and quickly realized that I was as bad with a light saber as I was with a paddle controller on an Atari.

I began to sense a pattern. Why was I so bad at every video game I played? Why were the controllers so hard to use? I realized that the problem wasn't all mine. Sure I have zero hand eye coordination but the real problem was with the controllers themselves. You see when I play a video game I expect the controller to be an extension of myself. If I am playing a driving game then of course I must turn the controller (and my whole body) in the direction that I want to turn. I know that all I really need to do is push the stupid button or move the useless thumb stick but my mind does not associate those simple finger movements with what is happening on the screen (and therefore in my imagination). My mind wants (and therefore tells) my whole body to move out of the way of the flying piece of asteroid coming at me.

So you can imagine my joy when I heard about the Wii. I know that some of my gaming friends are shaking their heads right now. They tell me that the Wii is not a real game machine. To them, and most of them have grown up with video games, there is no problem with the old style controllers. They have excellent hand eye coordination and they know not only when to push the "X" button, but where the stupid "X" button is. And they never forget where it it is. They never get it confused with the "B" button.

Fine, they can have their stupid controllers. I can't play that way. I am slow. My eyes and hands do not communicate so well and on top of that I am just a bit dyslexic. That is why every time my friends and I get together and play Halo, I am usually the one with not only the lowest score but the one who earns the most laughs in a game. How many times have I heard "Rick! What are you doing?" from teammates that I am supposed to be helping.

So now there is a game machine for me. I spent many long dark hours in line to get the Wii for my family this past Christmas and (if I can get home before my kids do) I intend to log many hours playing tennis the way it was meant to be played--in my living room. Pong is so far removed from tennis on the Wii that I cannot even begin to describe it. I feel like I am playing real tennis (except I actually hit the ball on the Wii).

But Today, my joy is now complete! Not only has tennis caught up to my imagination so has being a Jedi. Introducing (fanfare please) "Camy Pro Gear Wii Light Swords!" Thats right someone has made a light saber add on for the Wii remote (check out the link
IGN: Camy Pro Gear Wii Light Swords Preview). It is set to release at the same time that "the highly anticipated" Star Wars: The Force Unleashed game premiers on the Wii.

Can you imagine! Now I too can be a Jedi master and save the galaxy. All in the comfort of my living room. (I suggest you all stand back-I can't be held responsible for what happens when I start waving the light saber around.)


Powered by ScribeFire.


1 comment: